Pullapart White Bean Sandwich with Basil, Cranberries & Walnuts - created by Carine at Sweetashoney
I love Christmas in summer because we always go on the beach for boxing day – on 26th December. Those white bean sandwich are the best healthy sandwich to bring this year. Since we turned vegan I need new sandwich ideas for our family picnic. What I love the most about white bean sandwich is how stress-free they are! You can easily make the white bean filling few days before, bring it with you in a airtight plastic box in your bag. It perfectly spread on any bread and makes fulfilling lunch sandwich high in protein.
To make this delicious white bean sandwich filling you need few basics ingredients.
- White beans – canned or soaked overnight, I used canned much faster. They are also known as cannellini beans
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Green Scallions
- Walnuts – if you have got some extra time I recommend yo toast them in a hot pan for few minutes, super tasty
- Dried cranberries – I bought my with no added sugar or use fresh for a healthier option
- Tahini – or use my vegan mayo recipe
- Dijon mustard – I used American Dijon Mustard, for a stronger flavor use the French Dijon. I do both and they taste amazing !
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice if you prefer
- 1 pull apart gluten free bread or bread of your choice
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 6 fresh basil leaves - optional
In a small mixing bowl whisk the tahini, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, water and ground cumin. Set aside in the fridge while you prepare the white bean filling.White bean Avocado Filling
In another bowl, mash the white beans roughly with a fork or potato masher.
Add in cubed tomato, scallions, cranberries, walnuts, fresh chopped basil, salt and chili flakes if you like some spice!
Stir in the tahini mustard dressing. Refrigerate one hour to blend the flavor or fill directly into sandwich and refrigerate the sandwich an hour.
To serve, spread extra Dijon Mustard on both part of the bread. On the bottom sandwich part, add fresh basil leaves, baby spinach leaves then spread the white bean filling, more basil leaves and spinach. Close and enjoy !
White beans: I used canned white beans also know as cannellini beans
Dijon mustard: I am using French Dijon mustard most of the time in this recipe (well, I am French soo... :)) It has a stronger flavor than the American Dijon mustard. Use your favorite vegan Dijon mustard, both works well in this recipe
Vinegar: I used unfiltered apple cider vinegar but any vinegar will work too or lemon juice.
Make ahead/store: you can make ahead the sandwich filling and store in an airtight plastic container in the fridge. It store perfectly for up to 3 days - then the avocado may turn darker. Spread in your favorite sandwich bread when needed. I also stored the prepared sandwich 24 hour in the fridge wrapped in plastic sandwich wrap.